Business Immigration & Consultancy Services
Solutions for Individual Entrepreneurs & Corporate Businesses

L1 visa – Intra-Company Transfer  


There are two different categories of this type of visa–the L-1A visa and the L-1B visa. 

The following is some information regarding each sub-category:

L-1A visa — allows executives or managers working in the foreign office to come work in the U.S. office for a period of time. There are specific definitions for “executives” and “managers,” so simply giving an individual a certain title is not enough to make the person eligible for the visa. For example, an executive or manager must have the authority and discretion to make important and varied decisions about the business with little to no oversight. An executive or manager must also supervise other employees and manage the operations of a department (or the entire organization), among other qualifications.

L-1B visa— allows employees of an international company who have specialized knowledge of the business and operations to transfer to the U.S. location for a set period of time. While no formal education requirements exist, the employee must play a key role in the company and must have advanced knowledge of the company’s products, processes, research, services, or management, among other things. The types of employees who are often considered for L-1B visas include accountants, programmers, designers, and engineers.

Whether you want to apply for an L-1A, L-1B, the application process can be complex. You will have to submit a number of different documents in order to demonstrate the validity of the relationship between the U.S. company and the company located abroad. 

Some documents that are often used as evidence of this relationship include:

·       Proof of company ownership and incorporation

·       Permits or licenses issued by the local government

·       Leases, real estate titles or deeds, and other proof of ongoing business expenses

·       Proof of profits and losses, expenses, bank statements, corporate tax returns, and other financial documents

·       Proof of workforce and employment agreements

·       Other supporting documents or materials

In addition to obtaining individual L-1 visas for certain employees, a business can transfer multiple employees from the foreign office to the U.S. office more efficiently by applying for a “blanket” L visa. 

Contact us to discuss your company’s specific details and answer any questions you may have. We will advise you on which option is best for you and provide you with an estimate of the associated fees.


Our Advantage – We Understand Your Personal & Business Needs